Postcard picture of entrance to Detroit River railroad tunnel, Detroit, Michigan. Caption on other side of postcard states: "HAS THE UNIQUE distinction of being the only tunnel of this type built. It was constructed in sections all work being done from the surface of the water without the use of compressed air. The tunnel is operated electrically. Construction was started October 1, 1906, and completed July 1, 1910. The length from portal to portal is 1 3-8 miles and from summit to grade 2 1-2 miles. It was built for the M. C. R. R. at a cost of $8,500,000." (sic - punctuation as in original) 

Detroit River Tunnel
The Detroit River Tunnel, also known as the Michigan Central Railway Tunnel,  is a railroad tunnel under the Detroit River connecting Detroit, Michigan, in the United States with Windsor, Ontario, in Canada. The US entrance is south of Porter and Vermont streets near Rosa Parks Boulevard. The Canadian entrance is south of Wyandotte Street West between Cameron and Wellington Avenues. It was built by the Detroit River Tunnel Company for the Canada Southern Railway, leased by the  Michigan Central Railroad and owned by the New York Central Railroad. The tunnel opened in 1910 and is still in use today by the Canadian Pacific Railway. On the Detroit side, the area around the tunnel is off limits to the general public and is routinely patrolled by officers and agents of the US Department of Homeland Security, Canadian Pacific Police Service, CN Police, Detroit Police Department, and the security elements of the bridge company.

History
Prior to the construction of the tunnel, the Canada Southern Railway had several connections to Michigan at its west end, all train ferries. The northern one ran across the St. Clair River, connecting to the St. Clair and Western Railroad. The southern connection crossed the Detroit River south of Detroit, connecting to the Canada Southern Bridge Company at  Grosse Ile. Additionally a branch (usually considered the main line) split from the line to Grosse Ile at Essex, running to the Detroit River at Windsor.

In 1891, the Grand Trunk Railway opened the St. Clair Tunnel at Port Huron, giving it an advantage over the Canada Southern and its car ferries. The Detroit River Tunnel Company was formed August 15, 1905 as a merger of the Michigan and Canada Bridge and Tunnel Company (in Michigan) and the Canada and Michigan Bridge and Tunnel Company (in Ontario). Construction began in October 1906 under the engineering supervision of The New York Central Railway's engineering vice president, William J. Wilgus. The Michigan Central Railway Tunnel opened for passenger service July 26, 1910. Freight service began September 15 and on October 16 all traffic began running via the tunnel, ending the use of a train car ferry. From opening it was operated by the Michigan Central Railroad under lease of December 19, 1906. It was the first immersed tube tunnel to carry traffic.

On the east (Canadian) side, the tunnel connected to the line that had served a train ferry at Windsor. On the west (U.S.) side, the tunnel connected to the Michigan Central Railroad main line west of downtown (later abandoned east of the junction), and the Michigan Central Station was built west of the junction, opening in 1913.

In 1968, the tunnel passed from the New York Central Railroad to Penn Central, and in 1976 to Conrail. In 1985, Conrail sold the tunnel to the Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Railway, with each getting a half share. In early 2000, CN agreed to sell its stake to Borealis Transportation Infrastructure Trust (a venture of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) and use only the St. Clair Tunnel. CP and Borealis vested the tunnel into the new Detroit River Tunnel Partnership, and plans were announced to construct a new railway tunnel and convert the existing railway tunnel to a two-lane free flow truckway for transport trucks to alleviate pressure at the other nearby international border crossings (Ambassador Bridge, Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, and the Detroit-Windsor Truck Ferry). In June 2009, CP announced the sale part of its interest in the Partnership, so that now Borealis holds 83.5% and CP holds 16.5%.

In 2010, The Windsor Port Authority, Borealis Infrastructure, and Canadian Pacific announced plans to construct a new rail tunnel compatible with double stacked trains. The initiative was known as the Continental Rail Gateway. The project was scrapped in 2015, upon the approval of the proposed Gordie Howe International Bridge.

Michigan Central Railway Tunnel Overview
Location: Detroit River
Coordinates: 42.31849°N 83.06049°W
System: Canadian Pacific Railway
Start: Detroit, Michigan, US
End: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Operation
Work begun: October 1906
Opened: July 26, 1910
Owner: Canadian Pacific Railway and Borealis Transportation
Operator: Detroit River Tunnel Company
Traffic: Freight
Technical
Length: 1.6 mi (2.6 km)
No. of tracks: 2
Track gauge: 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge

See also:

Conrail (Shared Assets Operations)

Historic Sites

Picture of interior of Detroit River railroad tunnel.

Postcard picture of electric train emerging from eastbound tube of railroad tunnel underneath the Detroit River.

Postcard picture of electric train emerging from eastbound tube of railroad tunnel underneath the Detroit River.
NFLShop.com - NFL Jerseys and Gear
Enter the Classic Streamliners Bookstore.
Shop for Trains and Railroad Collectibles on eBay
Shop for Railroad and Train Collectibles on eBay
Enter the Classic Streamliners Bookstore.
NFLShop.com - NFL Jerseys and Gear

Classic Streamliners - TRAIN​CYCLOPEDIA

Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket Historic Rail - Shop Now! Enter the World of Artisan Wines. Get your first 3 months at 50% off.

Picture of interior of Detroit River railroad tunnel. Caption on opposite side of card states: "INTERIOR OF DETROIT RIVER TUNNEL. / DETROIT, MICH. / The Detroit River Tunnel was built for the M. C. R. R. at a cost of $8,500,000. It is 1 3/8 miles in length. Construction was started in July 1906 and completed July 1, 1910. Electricity, the third rail system, furnishes the motive power for the engines."