Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Unit A remained in passenger service. It was rebuilt as a single-ended locomotive in 1938 with a "bulldog" front end—a very high, raised cab above a snub rounded nose. The locomotive emerged in the Warbonnet paint scheme similar to the E1's. It retained road number 1. The lead truck was replaced with a drop-equalizer truck of unusual 1B configuration; the lead axle was un-powered, while the two rear axles were powered. Some time later, the trailing truck was replaced in similar fashion. Three-axle trucks rode better at speed and were lighter on the track, with a lower axle loading.
When Unit A was rebuilt in 1938, Unit B received the same modifications, along with road number 10, since it was now regarded as a separate locomotive. In 1941 No. 10 had its cab removed, and became a booster unit numbered 1A. In 1948, AT&SF rebuilt No. 1A into freight transfer locomotive No. 2611 running on EMD Blomberg B trucks.
Both No. 1 and No. 2611 went to EMD as trade-ins on E-8Bm locomotives in 1953.
Type and origin
Power type: Diesel-electric
Builder: Electro-Motive Corporation
Serial number: 535–536
Build date: September 1935
Total produced: 2
Operator: Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway
Official name: 1800 hp B-B
Nicknames: Amos and Andy
Locale: North America
AT&SF No. 1 - EMC 1800 HP B-B Diesel Locomotive
Electro-Motive Corporation (later Electro-Motive Division, General Motors) produced five 1800 hp B-B experimental passenger train-hauling Diesel locomotives in 1935; two company-owned demonstrators, No. 511 and No. 512, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's No. 50, and two units for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, Diesel Locomotive No. 1. In addition, two single power cars and two twin-unit power cars for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad's Zephyr streamliners were built to fundamentally the same design, but clad in Budd Company streamlined stainless steel carbodies. These were No. 9904 Pegasus and No. 9905 Zephyrus for the Twin Zephyrs, and No. 9906A/B Silver King/Silver Queen and No. 9907A/B Silver Knight/Silver Princess for the Denver Zephyrs.
All were the mechanical ancestors to EMD's successful E-units, with identical pairs of 900 hp Winton 201-A Diesel engines, although they ran on AAR type B two-axle trucks instead of the A1A trucks of E-units. When delivered, the units were fitted with shrouding around their trucks, but this did not last long.
The boxy carbodies of all but the Zephyrs were the work of GE's Erie, Pennsylvania works, EMD having not yet developed the ability to produce their own bodywork. Like most boxcabs, they had control cabs at both ends, a feature that would only rarely be repeated in future North American locomotives, although it would become common elsewhere.
Santa Fe 1
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway #1 was a two unit set built by St. Louis Car Company in late 1935 to haul the Santa Fe's new train, the Super Chief, for its first year of operation, from May 1936 until May of the following year. The Santa Fe had wanted the new, streamlined designs on the EMC drawing boards that would become the first E-units, but they would not be ready until 1937, so the railroad asked for two locomotives like the EMC demonstrators as proof of concept, letting the railroad gain some experience with Diesel operation before the E-units and the lightweight, streamlined train they would haul were ready. Because they were always run together, in a back-to-back configuration, Santa Fe employees nicknamed the two units the "One Spot Twins" and "Amos & Andy" (after the popular radio situation comedy). Both units shared a common road number, and the operating department considered them a single locomotive. The mechanical department referred to them as Unit A (lead unit) and Unit B (trailing unit). For a time, AT&SF leased EMC demonstrator #512, which became known as Unit C, while serving on the Super Chief.
The Santa Fe did ask for some cosmetic "dressing up" of the locomotives, since they would be hauling a prestige passenger train, and EMC obliged with a treatment by Sterling McDonald's GM styling department, which included large "eyebrow" air intakes at the front of the units and a striking paint scheme: Olive Green with Cobalt Blue and Sarasota Blue stripes separated by pinstripes of Crimson and Tuscan Red. This livery reduced the boxiness of the locomotives and gave them more of a look of speed. Later, as the Santa Fe took delivery of the stainless steel Super Chief passenger cars, the locomotives were repainted in silver.
The Santa Fe was an ideal railroad to be a Dieselization pioneer; its long desert runs in the Southwest made the provision of water supplies for steam locomotives problematic.
After the E1s replaced the proof-of-concept No. 1 in 1937, the Santa Fe began to modify the two locomotive units.
The two units of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Diesel locomotive No. 1, photographed in Chicago on August 31, 1935.
ATSF No. 1, formerly Unit A, after being rebuilt. The unit was also repainted in Santa Fe's classic Warbonnet colors.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.