Classic Streamliners - TRAIN​CYCLOPEDIA

Electro-Motive Company logo.
Historic Rail - Shop Now!
Chicago and North Western herald.

Photo of three Union Pacific streamliners that traveled cross country. The locomotives on the right and left were jointly owned by Union Pacific and the Chicago and North Western Railway. The one in the middle was owned by Union Pacific, Chicago and North Western and Southern Pacific. Circa 1938.

UP Overland Route herald.

The "City of Los Angeles", an EMC E2 engine, featured an aggressive bulldog nose.

Southern Pacific herald.
The "City of Los Angeles", an EMC E2 engine, featured an aggressive bulldog nose.
Photo of three Union Pacific streamliners that traveled cross country. The locomotives on the right and left were jointly owned by Union Pacific and the Chicago and North Western Railway. The one in the middle was owned by Union Pacific, Chicago and North Western and Southern Pacific. Circa 1938.

EMC E2 Diesel Locomotive
The EMC E2 was an American passenger-train diesel locomotive which as a single unit developed 1,800 horsepower, from two (2) 900 horsepower prime movers. These locomotives were typically operated as a unit set (A - B - B); where the three unit lashup developed 5,400 horsepower. This was almost the ideal horsepower required (6,000 horsepower) for the tonnage of a 15 - 18 car passenger train, operated over the ruling grades of virtually all of the mileage between major American cities. The units were of the A1A-A1A wheel arrangement, and manufactured by Electro-Motive Corporation of La Grange, Illinois.

Two sets (each of three units, A-B-B) (5,400 horsepower) were produced in 1937 for named passenger trains; the first set (SF-1, SF-2, and SF-3) for the City of San Francisco. These motive-power sets were jointly owned and operated by the Union Pacific Railroad, the Chicago and North Western Railway, and the Southern Pacific Railroad. The second A-B-B set (LA-1, LA-2, and LA-3) was used for the City of Los Angeles; and, was jointly owned and operated by the UP and CNW only. The first locomotive power unit was the control cab, or "A" unit, while the other two were cabless boosters, or "B" units. The control cab and booster units were designed for multiple unit operation (the first in diesel motive power). A single engine crew in the cab, remotely monitored and controlled all three motive power units from a single control station in the cab. The locomotives were diesel-electrics with two 900 hp Winton 201-A engines each, with each engine driving its own generator to power the traction motors. In addition the locomotives contained steam generators for passenger car heating. An independent auxiliary diesel powered electric generator was housed in the first car of the train consist. This car was a combination power/baggage/post office, or crew dormitory. This car provided electric power for train-line "hotel" power for their named train set(s), to include the air conditioning, dining, lounge, and entertainment. The power cars were required for these train sets because of the electrical demand of their feature cars. The E2 was the third model in a long line of passenger diesels of similar design known as EMD E-units.

The E2, along with the more-or-less simultaneous EA/EB units for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and the E1 units for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, represented an important step in the evolution of the passenger diesel locomotive. While the EA, E1 and E2 were each built for a specific railroad and train, they were largely identical mechanically and were a step further away from the concept of custom-built motive power, integrated into a particular streamliner; and towards mass-produced standardized locomotives. This transition was achieved with the E3, E4, E5, and E6, EMC's next models.

Profile
The E2's profile was more aggressive than the sloping snouts of previous EMC passenger power, so they gained a "bulldog nose" nickname. Subsequent blunt-snouted passenger units are sometimes also called this, but the E2's nose is by far the most bulbous. Seven porthole windows in the sides are also a unique feature of the E2 locomotives; others had four or less. One of the nicknames that these locomotives acquired, because of these portholes, was "Queen Mary," after the British Cunard liner that was put in service about the same time. The Union Pacific Railroad also referred to the schedule of the "City of San Francisco," a passenger train hauled by these locomotives as sailings. The units were painted to match the trains in Union Pacific's Armour Yellow with Leaf Brown roofs and undersides, the same colors as UP's previous streamliners. There was extensive stainless steel on the noses, upon which were displayed the owning railroads' heralds in color.

Replacement
The E2 locomotives were envisioned and designed during the time that the Electro-Motive Corporation (EMC) was an independent business; EMC custom designed and built motive power units to the needs and desires of the operating railroads. The General Motors Corporation bought out EMC during this period. GM believed in the standardization of its products, that were sold to either individuals or to the corporations of an entire industry. Whereas the railroads at the time, still had a veritable, “handicraft” industry of motive power (locomotive), design and construction. This was incomprehensible to GM; who was by then, an then advanced 20th century Corporation. General Motors quickly moved to establish in railway motive power, a set of standardized products that delivered either passenger or freight horse power-hours, reliably and efficiently. GM replaced EMC's custom designs with new E6 locomotives in 1940; the joint ownership was terminated at that point. All four "B" units (SF-2, SF-3, LA-2, LA-3) went to the Union Pacific; they were used until 1953, when they were "rebuilt" into E8 locomotives. These rebuilds utilized little of the previous locomotives and were effectively trade-ins. The driving "A" unit of the SF set, SF-1, (the "Queen Mary") went to the Southern Pacific; it was likewise "rebuilt" into EMD E7 No. 6017. The "A" unit of the LA set, LA-1, went to the Chicago and North Western (No. 5003A) and was scrapped in 1953 after it was destroyed in a head-on collision near Rhinelander, Wisconsin.

No E2 survives today. However the pair of Winton Model 201A V12 diesel engines from SF-1 (the lead unit of the City of San Francisco set, nicknamed "Queen Mary") were rescued from scrap and eventually became part of the collection of artifacts at the California State Railroad Museum at Sacramento. One of the engines has now (September 2009) been transferred to the Illinois Railway Museum at Union, Illinois.

See also:
List of EMC, GM-EMD locomotives

EMC - EMD

Union Pacific

Chicago and North Western

Southern Pacific

Diesel-Electric Locomotives

Locomotives

NFLShop.com - NFL Jerseys and Gear
Enter the Classic Streamliners Bookstore.
Shop for Trains and Railroad Collectibles on eBay
Shop for Railroad and Train Collectibles on eBay
Enter the Classic Streamliners Bookstore.
NFLShop.com - NFL Jerseys and Gear