Illinois Central EMD TR1 No. 9251. Library of Congress.
EMD TR1 Diesel-Electric Locomotive
The EMD TR1 was a two-unit "cow-calf" diesel locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division of La Grange, Illinois, in 1941. Two pairs were built for the Illinois Central Railroad, the only purchaser.
The locomotive units strongly resembled the EMD NW3, with a long frame, Blomberg B road trucks, and a large cab connected to a wide area of hood that tapered going forward. The locomotives incorporated the machinery of the EMD FT in switcher bodywork; a V16 EMD 567 diesel engine of 1,350 horsepower (1,010 kW) in each unit.
The cow and calf units were semipermanently coupled together with a drawbar instead of couplers, in similar fashion to the FT's twin-unit sets.
The two locomotive pairs were numbered 9250 A&B and 9251 A&B, later renumbered 1350 A&B and 1351 A&B. They initially were assigned to Markham Yard south of Chicago, IL, but by the early 1950s had been reassigned to the yard at East St. Louis, IL.
Both remained in this service until they were retired in 1966 and traded in to EMD in part exchange for new EMD GP40 locomotives.
EMD TR1 Overview
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.