Power car including driving cab, 1,200 hp Winton 201-A 16-cylinder engine and generator, auxiliary generator, and train heating boiler. Below the floor, the first truck was powered, but the second, articulated with the second car, was not. A 725 gal fuel tank was also mounted between the trucks.
Storage, Baggage and Mail car of which approximately half was the mail compartment.
Coach including conductor's office, seating 56.
Coach including restrooms, seating 60.
Diner-Lounge-Observation including restrooms, kitchen, dining area seating 8, and observation lounge seating 20.
All passenger-carrying cars were air-conditioned, with radio communication between them. Full width rubber diaphragms joined the cars, and all cars were articulated (sharing a truck with the neighboring car).
On September 29, 1946, with the full dieselization of all Chicago-St.Louis passenger service, the Green Diamond was changed to train Nos. 20 and 21, the reservation requirement was dropped, and the timetable no longer referred to the train as a distinct trainset. Unsurprisingly, the trainset was withdrawn from service on February 28, 1947, being replaced by a new Green Diamond, an E-unit-hauled streamliner with regular lightweight cars.
The trainset was shipped to the ICRR's shops at Paducah, Kentucky, for a complete overhaul, which took two months. The train emerged still in two-tone green, but with the Green Diamond names completely removed. It re-entered service on April 27, 1947, as the Miss-Lou (MISSissippi-LOUisiana) between Jackson, Mississippi, and New Orleans, Louisiana, operating as Trains 27 and 28. It left Jackson at 6:20 AM, arriving in New Orleans at 10:20 AM; the return journey left at 6:20 PM and arrived in Jackson at 10:20 PM.
The trainset was finally retired on August 8, 1950, and sold for scrap.
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
The Illinois Central's beautiful "Green Diamond".
An EMC advertisement in Railway Age Magazine from 1936.
A slideshow featuring the Illinois Central streamliner "The Green Diamond" in Milwaukee on April 24, 1936. Before going into regular service, the IC took the train on a publicity tour in April and May of 1936, similar to those by the Burlington for their early Zephyrs. Milwaukee was one of the places the train visited. The train was at the Milwaukee Road station in Milwaukee as the sign for the depot can be seen in the background of one of the photos.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.