Products related to the Ingalls 4-S
(Click image for more info.)
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Ingalls 4-S Diesel Locomotive
The Ingalls 4-S was an experimental American locomotive built by Ingalls Shipbuilding immediately after World War II. Intended to be the first of many Ingalls-built locomotives, it wound up being the only one ever built by the company. It served on the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad (GM&O) until 1966, when it was retired; it was scrapped the following year.
Design and development
At the end of World War II, Ingalls Shipbuilding, based in Pascagoula, Mississippi, developed plans for a line of diesel-electric locomotives to serve the expected post-war market. Five models were projected; the first, and as it proved only, to be built was a prototype of the largest, the model 4-S.
The design of the locomotive was considered advanced, including a "turret cab" arrangement, which improved the crew's vision. The prime mover selected for the locomotive was based on a marine diesel engine built by Superior Engines & Compressors; it produced 1,650 hp, of which 1,500 hp was available for the production of tractive effort by the locomotive's electric drive. Provision was made for the installation of a steam generator for passenger service. The locomotive was equipped with connections for multiple unit operation.
The 4-S was tested by a number of railroads, including the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, Seaboard Air Line Railroad, and the Southern Railway among others; however no orders materialized for the type, or for any other of Ingalls' proposed locomotives. The lack of orders combined with issues with the supply of components for the locomotive resulted in Ingalls electing to abandon its plans for locomotive construction; the sole 4-S would be the only locomotive ever to be built by the company. It was sold to the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad for US$140,000, where it received the road number 1900.
The 4-S served with the GM&O, operating primarily from Mobile, Alabama, earning a reputation for toughness; it once derailed, landing inverted, but was repaired and returned to service in short order. In 1966, the locomotive was traded in to EMD by the railroad as partial payment for new locomotives; the engine was offered to the Illinois Railway Museum for $3,000, but the museum was unable to raise the necessary funds. When no other buyers materialized, the locomotive was sold to Pielet Brothers in 1967, where it was scrapped.
Type and origin
Power type: Diesel-electric
Builder: Ingalls Shipbuilding
Build date: March 1946
Total produced: 1
AAR wheel arrangement: B-B
Gauge: 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in
Locomotive weight: 72,000 lb
Fuel capacity: 1,000 US gal
Prime mover: Superior Engines & Compressors marine engine
Power output: 1,650 hp
Operator(s): Gulf, Mobile & Ohio
Gulf, Mobile and Ohio No. 1900, the only Ingalls 4-S locomotive ever built.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.