New Haven EP-1 Overview
Type and origin
Power type: Electric
Build date: 1905–1908
Total produced: 41
AAR wheel arrangement: 1-B-B-1
Gauge: 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)
Wheel diameter: 62 inches (1,600 mm)
Length: 37 feet 6 1⁄2 inches (11.443 m)
Locomotive weight: 102 short tons (93 t)
Electric system(s): 660V DC, 11kV 25hz AC
Current collection: Pantograph, Contact shoe
Traction motors: 4 × Westinghouse 130
MU working: Yes
Maximum speed: 80 miles per hour (130 km/h)
Power output: 1,420 horsepower (1,060 kW)
A New Haven Railroad EP-1 electric locomotive, circa 1907. The AC pantographs are raised.
New York, New Haven and Hartford EP-1s pulling a 15-car train, circa 1911.
New Haven EP-1 Electric Locomotive
The New Haven EP-1 was a class of boxcab electric locomotives built by Baldwin-Westinghouse for the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. The locomotives were part of an electrification project undertaken by the New Haven between Grand Central Terminal in New York City and Stamford, Connecticut. Baldwin-Westinghouse delivered 41 locomotives between 1905–1908, and the New Haven retired the last in 1947.
The EP-1 had to support two electric systems and three collection methods. The New York Central Railroad's 660 V third rail DC extended from Grand Central to Woodlawn, where New Haven territory began. Westinghouse installed 11 kV overhead line AC from Woodlawn to Stamford. Finally, the New York Central employed overhead lines over railroad switches in place of third rail electrification. To support these myriad methods, Westinghouse installed two sets of pantographs, one for AC and one for DC collection, and a contact shoe for third rail operation. Control devices within the locomotive prevented drawing power from multiple sources and enabled transition between them without stopping.
The boxcab body was 37 feet 6 1⁄2 inches (11.443 m) long and weighed 102 short tons (93 t). Beneath it, initially, were four axles in a pair of trucks (B-B arrangement). After oscillation problems the New Haven added an unpowered axle to each end (1-B-B-1), which resolved the issue. The EP-1 was capable of multiple working, and was the first electric locomotive to do so regularly.
Westinghouse delivered the first prototype in 1905, followed by 34 production units in 1907–1908. The New Haven ordered six more in 1908. The EP-1 designation, applied later, stood for "Electric Passenger." The EP-1s handled passenger trains between New York and Stamford, and later New Haven, Connecticut, when the New Haven extended electrification there. Retirements began in 1936 as equipment wore out and newer locomotives became available, but the last left service in 1947.
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.