The Budd Company delivered the original equipment set for the Henry M. Flagler in November 1939. The consist matched three sets delivered for the new Champion. Each equipment set consisted of a baggage-dormitory-coach, four coaches, a dining car, and a tavern-lounge-observation car.
Originally a coach-only train, the Dixie Flagler later received sleeping cars. In 1950 the train departed Chicago with six sleeping cars, five for Miami and one for Jacksonville. These cars had the following configuration:
3 compartments, 1 double bedroom, buffet-lounge
6 sections, 6 double bedrooms
8 sections, 2 compartments, 1 drawing room
12 roomettes, 2 single bedrooms, 3 double bedrooms
6 compartments, 3 double bedrooms
8 sections, 2 compartments, 1 double bedroom
The train carried a full dining car for the entire trip: a C&EI dining car operated between Chicago and Jacksonville, after which an FEC dining car replaced it. The FEC's tavern-lounge-observation car made the entire trip.
1939 Train Original consist:
Baggage-dormitory-coach "Stuart" (14 seats)
Coach "Hobe Sound" (60 seats)
Coach "Delray Beach" (52 seats)
Dining car "Fort Lauderdale" (48 seats)
Coach "Hollywood" (60 seats)
Coach "Melbourne" (60 seats)
Tavern-lounge-observation "Lake Worth"
The Dixie Flagler
The Dixie Flagler was a streamlined passenger train operated by the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) between Chicago, Illinois and Miami, Florida. It began in 1939 as the Henry M. Flagler, a regional service between Miami and Jacksonville, Florida; the FEC renamed it and extended it to Chicago a year later. As an overnight streamliner it was part of the every-third-day pool shared by the City of Miami (train) and South Wind. It was renamed Dixieland in 1954 and discontinued altogether in 1957.
The train began as theHenry M. Flagler, adaily streamliner between Jacksonville and Miami. This service began on December 3, 1939, using a set of equipment built by the Budd Company. With the introduction of two new overnight all-coach streamliners on cooperating railroads, the Henry M. Flagler equipment was placed in service on a rotating once every three days overnight schedule between Chicago and Miami as the Dixie Flagler beginning December 17, 1940. Together with its counterparts the South Wind and City of Miami, the trains offered daily service between Chicago and the east coast of Florida. Originally intended as a winter-season-only service, the public response was strong enough that the trains were placed into permanent year-round service by the summer of 1941.
The FEC dropped the Dixie Flagler name in 1954 in favor of Dixieland; it discontinued the service altogether in 1957.
Postcard depiction of the Henry M. Flagler, circa 1939-1940.
The tavern-lounge-observation car Lake Worth brings up the rear of the Dixie Flagler in Hollywood, Florida in 1941.
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
The Dixie Flagler in 1941.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.