Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Diagram of an Electroliner. Click on image for larger view.
CC BY-SA 3.0, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4356375
The Electroliners were a pair of streamlined four-coach electric multiple unit interurban passenger train sets operated by the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad between Chicago, Illinois, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They were built by St. Louis Car Company in 1941. Each set carried two numbers, 801-802 and 803-804.
Each set is made up of two end coaches and two center coaches. The sections are articulated using Jacobs trucks. Each end coach is divided at the side doors into a Luxury Coach, which seats 30, and a Smoking Coach, which seats 10 and also has a restroom. Each door had steps and a trap door for boarding from street level, low-level and high-level platforms. One center coach seats 40, and the other is a Tavern Lounge that seats 26. All cars are air-conditioned, a first among new traction (interurban and trolley) equipment of the time.
An ElectroLiner Slide Show.
Courtesy Chuckman's Nostalgia: https://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com/
A famous name train which operated for many years between Chicago and Milwaukee, the North Shore Line's "Electro-liner" stands on elevated railway track in the Roosevelt Road Yard, Chicago on January 18, 1963. [Electro-liner in the Roosevelt Road Yard], photograph, January 18, 1963; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28739/m1/1/?q=train: accessed July 2, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Museum of the American Railroad.
One of the Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad's "Electroliner" trainsets.
The North Shore was struggling financially in 1940 and was on the edge of bankruptcy. The effects of the Great Depression were still being felt, plus it had almost side-by-side competition from the Chicago and North Western Railroad and the nearby Milwaukee Road. All of its operating equipment had been constructed in the 1920s and was showing wear. But it offered convenient stops around the Loop on the Chicago El, to which it ran from the Chicago-Evanston city boundary. The North Shore's unionized work force was concerned about job losses if the line closed, so when company management approached them with a proposal to purchase new streamliners to invigorate passenger service, employees agreed to a reduction in pay. The sets were designed by the St Louis Car Company and North Shore's engineering staff. When they arrived in 1941, they were well received by the public, although the nation's economy was also beginning to significantly improve. Earnings increased, older equipment was refurbished for looks and comfort, and the North Shore went from being a typical mid-western interurban to a high-speed regional commuter railroad, running at high speed between two major cities. In the 1960s, competition from new freeways ate into ridership, income dropped, maintenance and operating costs climbed, and the line was abandoned in January 1963.
After the North Shore ceased operations, the sets were sold to the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company, known as the Red Arrow Lines, and renamed Liberty Liners. The trolley poles and steps were removed, new doors were added in the center coach sections, and updated third-rail contact shoes were installed to operate on the Norristown High Speed Line, which uses third rail and high-level platforms between Upper Darby, Pennsylvania and Norristown. The tavern-lounges continued in service, providing coffee and pastry in the morning, and beverages and snacks in the evening. 801-802 was named "Valley Forge", while 803-804 became "Independence Hall". They were retired in 1976.
801-802 has been restored to its early 1960s operating condition at the Illinois Railway Museum (IRM) in Union, Illinois.
803-804 is preserved at the Rockhill Trolley Museum in Orbisonia, Pennsylvania. It has recently been restored to operation.
In service: 1941–1978
Manufacturer: St. Louis Car Company
Entered service: 1941
Number built: 2
Number preserved: 2
Fleet numbers: 801–802, 803–804
Operators: Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad, Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company, SEPTA
Train length: 155 feet 4 inches (47.35 m)
Height: 12 feet 7 inches (3.84 m)
Doors: 4 passenger, 2 cab
Maximum speed: 110 mph (180 km/h)
Weight: 214,000 pounds (97,000 kg)
Electric system: 600v DC
Current collection method: trolley pole, third rail
Trucks: Jacobs bogies
Braking system: Westinghouse
Multiple working: No
Track gauge: 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.