Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Postcard depiction of the Illinois Central's Green Diamond trainset.
A Green Diamond Slide Show.
The Illinois Central's Green Diamond at Kankakee, Illinois. The train is led by EMD E8 No. 4026. August 1964.
By Lawrence and David Barera - Flickr: Kankakee IC Aug 1964 3-2, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33184359
The Green Diamond
The Green Diamond was a streamlined passenger train operated by the Illinois Central Railroad between Chicago, Illinois and St. Louis, Missouri. It operated from 1936 until 1968. It was the Illinois Central's first streamliner. Initially it operated with Illinois Central 121, the last of the 1930s fixed-consist articulated streamliners built in the United States. After 1947 it operated with more conventional streamlined equipment until its discontinuance. The name honored the "green diamond" in the Illinois Central's logo as well as the Diamond Special, the Illinois Central's oldest train on the Chicago-St. Louis run.
The Green Diamond first ran in regular service on May 17, 1936. It was the Illinois Central's first streamlined passenger train and proved popular with the traveling public to the point that demand outstripped the streamliner's fixed capacity. The Green Diamond covered the 294 miles from Chicago to St. Louis in 4 hours 55 minutes, averaging 59 miles per hour. The Green Diamond required a single consist to operate, departing Chicago for St. Louis in the morning and returning that same evening. The name honored the "green diamond" in the Illinois Central's logo as well as the Diamond Special, the Illinois Central's oldest train on the Chicago-St. Louis run.
Pullman-Standard constructed the Green Diamond's original fixed consist, which included a power car, baggage/mail car, coach, coach-dinette, and kitchen-dinette-parlor-observation car. The cars were numbered 121-125. The coach seated 56, while the coach-dinette seated 44 in the coach section and the dinette area had seating for 16. The parlor car had seating for 22. It was the last fixed-consist train built in the 1930s for a railroad in the United States. The equipment was painted in a "bright two-tone green paint scheme." Motive power was provided by 1,200 hp EMC Winton 201-A 16-cylinder engine. A second generator within the power car provided electricity for the lights, while a separate steam generator heated the train. The train's interior was art deco, as was popular in the period.
Conventional equipment with expanded seating capacity replaced the articulated streamliner in 1947.
Illinois Central's original train "The Green Diamond" which went into service between Chicago and St. Louis in 1936. The consist included a combine baggage-mail car, four coaches, dining car, and observation parlor car, c. 1936. ["The Green Diamond"], Photograph, ca. 1936; (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28708/ : accessed June 27, 2015), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Museum of the American Railroad, Dallas, Texas. Text: wikipedia.org.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.