Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Rio Grande Southern Railroad Galloping Goose No. 2.
By Jon's pics - Colorado Railroad Museum, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3683506
The monument erected to commemorate construction of the first dome car. The monument originally stood in Glenwood Canyon, Colorado; it is seen here in its current location at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. By Sean Lamb (User:Slambo) - Own work, CC BY-SA 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1293478
Denver & Rio Grande Western 5771 at Colorado Railroad Museum, an EMD F9A built in September of 1955.
By Len Turner - originally posted to Flickr as D&RGW 5771, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8812732
The Colorado Railroad Museum
The Colorado Railroad Museum is a non-profit railroad museum. The museum is located on 15 acres (6.1 ha) at a point where Clear Creek flows between North and South Table Mountains in Golden, Colorado.
The museum was established in 1959 to preserve a record of Colorado's flamboyant railroad era, particularly the state's pioneering narrow gauge mountain railroads.
The museum building is a replica of an 1880s-style railroad depot. Exhibits feature original photographs by pioneer photographers such as William Henry Jackson and Louis Charles McClure, as well as paintings by Howard L Fogg, Otto Kuhler, Ted Rose and other artists. Locomotives and railroad cars modeled in the one inch scale by Herb Votaw are also displayed. A bay window contains a reconstructed depot telegrapher's office, complete with a working telegraph sounder.
The lower level of the museum building contains an exhibition hall which features seasonal and traveling displays on railroading history. The lower level also contains the Denver HO Model Railroad Club's "Denver and Western" operating HO and HOn3 scale model train layout that represent Colorado's rail history in miniature.
The Robert W. Richardson Library houses over 10,000 rare historic photographs, artifacts, books and documents illustrating the histories of the railroads which have served the state for over 125 years.
The museum's roundhouse, named the Cornelius W. Hauck Restoration Facility, was dedicated on July 15, 2000. It allows museum visitors to observe restoration work safely. The building's brick design was chosen to reflect a fairly prosperous railroad in a small division point during the late nineteenth century.
The roundhouse area includes a display of locomotives and cars on the "radial" tracks, as well as a fully functioning 90-foot (27.4 m), Armstrong turntable.
The Denver HO Model Railroad Club is located in the basement of the Colorado Railroad Museum.
The Denver Garden Railway Society has its G scale garden railway exhibit on the grounds of the Museum.
The museum publishes books and maps about North American railroads and the Rocky Mountain Region.
The museum has a large collection of 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge rolling stock, and provides narrow gauge train rides on special event days known as "Steam Up days".
The museum also has ex-Denver and Rio Grande Western RR No. 683, a coal burning 2-8-0 consolidation built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1890, builders number 11207. It is the only surviving 4 ft 8-1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge steam locomotive from the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad.
All of the railroad equipment is displayed outdoors. Display tracks are complete with a rare three-way stub switch, dual gauge track and switches, and century-old switch stands. These tracks hold over 100 historic narrow and standard gauge locomotives and cars. The 1⁄3 mile (0.54 km) oval of 3 ft (914 mm) gauge track is used by trains on operating days.
The museum's roster contains the following notable pieces of rolling stock:
Chicago Burlington & Quincy No. 5629
Denver & Rio Grande Western No. 346
Denver Leadville & Gunnison No. 191
Manitou & Pikes Peak No. 1
Rio Grande Southern No. 20
Denver & Rio Grande No.491
Denver & Rio Grande Western No. 683
Denver & Rio Grande Western No. 5771
Denver & Rio Grande Western No. 5762
EMD F9 Diesel-Electric Engine No. 5771 was the last operational F-unit on the Rio Grande and powered the Rio Grande Zephyr passenger train between Denver and Salt Lake City from 1971 to 1983. The Rio Grande Zephyr was the last non-Amtrak intercity passenger train in the United States. Both 5771 and 5762 powered the Ski Train from Denver to Winter Park and back each weekend in 1984. Both were retired that year and donated to the Museum in 1996.
Atchison Topeka & Sante Fe Observation Car Navajo
Chicago Burlingon & Quincy Business Car No. 96
Colorado Midland Observation Car No. 111
Denver & Rio Grande Western Coach No. 284
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway Post Office Car No. 60
Union Pacific Coach No. 5442
Union Pacific Diner No. 4801
Chicago Burlington & Quincy snow plow No. 205065
Colorado & Southern rotary snow plow No. 99201
Rio Grande Southern "Galloping Goose" No. 2
Rio Grande Southern "Galloping Goose" No. 6
Rio Grande Southern "Galloping Goose" No. 7
Colorado Railroad Museum Overview
Location: 17155 W 44th Ave, Golden, Colorado 80403
Type: railroad museum
Director: Donald Tallman
Phone numbers: 303-279-4591 and 800-365-6263
Official Website: coloradorailroadmuseum.org
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.