Connecticut Trolley Museum
The Connecticut Trolley Museum is the oldest incorporated museum dedicated to electric railroading in the United States, as it was founded in 1940. The museum is located in East Windsor, Connecticut, and is open to the public April through December, featuring static and moving displays, and self-guided tours of the state's trolley history. Also located on the same property is the Connecticut Fire Museum which exhibits antique fire apparatus and motor coaches.

Heritage Railroad
The museum operates a 1.5 mile (2.4 km) heritage railroad over the original right-of-way of the Hartford and Springfield Street Railway Company's Rockville Branch. The Rockville Branch started at the Main Fish Market, and ran 17.5 miles (28.2 km) to Rockville, Connecticut. The branch line saw factory workers, tourists, and high school students. The interurban cars were more direct, and could hold more people than the few buses of the time. The line also serviced Piney Ridge, an amusement park located just between Broad Brook and East Windsor. Most trolley companies built parks — like Piney Ridge — to create revenue on the one day no one went to work, Sunday. Piney Ridge featured a large pipe organ, a dance floor on trolley springs, and a baseball field. The dance floor with trolley springs allowed people to ease their knees as they danced the night away. The baseball field hosted games to two major players, Babe Ruth, and Lou Gehrig. Unfortunately when the Hartford and Springfield faced financial debts, the company went out of business. Their streetcars were brought to Piney Ridge and scrapped. By 1926, the track was gone, and the Rockville Branch with it.

It would be 14 years until the Connecticut Electric Railway Association was formed and began restoring service on the line. Unlimited rides on cars are included in the admission for the day. A minimum of two different cars are run each day. Many times up to three or four cars will be rotated through during the day, giving visitors an opportunity to experience many different types of streetcars and interurbans.

The museum has a diverse collection of equipment to help tell the story of the trolley era and its impact on society. Most of the equipment is stored in one of four car barns, the Visitor Center, or the car shop.

The Connecticut Trolley Museum has one or more of the following cars operating for the public when the museum is open:

Montreal Tramways cars 4 and 2600
Springfield Terminal combine car 16
Illinois Terminal Railroad PCC car 451
New Orleans Public Service car 836
Fair Haven and Westville Railroad car 355
Boston Elevated Railway Type 5 car 5645
Connecticut Company car 1326

In addition, the museum is currently working on the following cars in the restoration shop:

Connecticut Company car 3001
Nassau (New York) Electric Railway car 169

The Main Hall of the Visitor Center is set up with an exhibit detailing the progression of the era and its impact on society. The following cars are on display in the Visitor Center:

Northern Ohio Traction and Light parlor car 1500
Springfield Electric Railway combine car 10
Five Mile Beach Electric Railway car 36
Ponemah Mills Locomotive 1386
Shaker Heights Rapid Transit car 1201
Connecticut Company car 65
Montreal Tramways car 2056
Fair Haven and Westville car 154

Connecticut Trolley Museum Overview
Established: 1940
Type: Railroad museum

Location: 58 North Road, East Windsor, Connecticut 06088
Phone Number:  (860) 627-6540
Official Website:
Coordinates:  41°55′53″N 72°35′41″W

See also:


Rail Museums

CTM logo
Shop for Trains and Railroad Collectibles on eBay
Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket Historic Rail - Shop Now! Enter the World of Artisan Wines. Get your first 3 months at 50% off.
Enter the Classic Streamliners Bookstore.
Shop for Railroad and Train Collectibles on eBay - NFL Jerseys and Gear - NFL Jerseys and Gear
A 1929 Canadian Car & Foundry double-truck, double-end electric passenger streetcar, ex-Montreal Tramways Company car 2600.
New Orleans Car 836 at the Connecticut Trolley Museum, May 2004.

New Orleans Car 836 at the Connecticut Trolley Museum, May 2004.

By ​wikipedia user Hicksco2, CC BY-SA 3.0,

A 1929 Canadian Car & Foundry double-truck, double-end electric passenger streetcar, ex-Montreal Tramways Company car 2600.

By Mike Powell from United States - Connecticut Trolley Museum - 2, CC BY-SA 2.0,

Classic Streamliners - TRAIN​CYCLOPEDIA

Enter the Classic Streamliners Bookstore.