Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
The Central of Georgia Savannah Roundhouse and Turntable.
By Slowking4 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Central of Georgia Railroad: Savannah Shops and Terminal Facilities
The Central of Georgia Railroad: Savannah Shops and Terminal Facilities is a 33.2-acre (134,000 m2) National Historic Landmark District in Savannah, Georgia. It is dominated by the Central of Georgia Depot and Trainshed, and was constructed in 1853 by the Central of Georgia Railway (CofG) before the outbreak of the American Civil War. This pair of buildings was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976, a listing which was expanded in 1978 to include additional buildings described here.
Georgia State Railroad Museum
The historic railroad structures at the Georgia State Railroad Museum site include a partial roundhouse with operating turntable, partial machine shop, Tender Frame Shop, Blacksmith Shop, Boiler House, Storehouse & Print Shop, Lumber and Planning Sheds, Coach and Paint Shops, and a partial Carpentry Shop which now houses Savannah Children's Museum. Many of these structures are open for visitors to explore.
The Historic Railroad Shops complex is among the finest remaining examples of Victorian railroad architecture and design and is the most intact antebellum railroad repair complex in the country. It was designated a National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service. On-site displays include antique shaft driven machinery, locomotives and railroad stock, model train layouts, an operating turntable, and the oldest portable steam engine in the United States. The Historic Railroad Shops offers a valuable educational experience for students and has also become a popular local tourist attraction.
The complex has been maintained as the Georgia State Railroad Museum and a general industry museum by the Coastal Heritage Society with the assistance of the City of Savannah.
The Central of Georgia Railway started as the Central Rail Road and Canal Company in 1833, and built a passenger station, freight terminal and some shops in the Louisville Road area of Savannah around 1836. However, none of those structures remain today. By the mid-1840s the railway had expanded to 190 miles (310 km) of track, and the CG began construction of new shops in 1851. The first completed building was the carpenters' shop in 1853, followed by the original roundhouse, machine shop, tender frame shop, blacksmith shop and several other buildings in 1855. Additional buildings were constructed at the complex into the 1920s.
The roundhouse, turntable and other structures were rebuilt in the late 1920s after a major fire in 1923, as well as to accommodate larger locomotives and rolling stock.
Transition to museum
The Southern Railway purchased the CG in 1963 and closed the Savannah shops. Subsequently the railway transferred the complex to the City of Savannah. The Coastal Heritage Society, a non-profit organization, opened the museum on the site in 1989.
Museum attractions include:
Historic roundhouse with 85' (26 m) operating turntable
Numerous historic railroad buildings
Historic machinery and stationary steam engines
Steam and diesel
Office cars and cabooses.
Daily tours and activities, sometimes including a short site tour by rail.
Central of Georgia Railroad: Savannah Shops and Terminal Facilities Overview
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
U.S. National Historic Landmark District
Location: West Broad Street and Railroad Avenue, Savannah, Georgia
Coordinates: 32.07571°N 81.10126°W
Area: 33.2 acres (13.4 ha)
Architect: Schwaab, Augustus; Et al.
Architectural style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals, Late Victorian
NRHP Reference Number: 78000970
Added to NRHP: June 2, 1978
Designated NHLD: June 2, 1978
Georgia State Railroad Museum
EMD GP35 diesel locomotive No. 2715, a former Savannah and Atlanta locomotive on display at the Historic Railroad Shops, November 26, 2003.
By Fl295 at English Wikipedia - Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons by Avicennasis using CommonsHelper., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10962522
Central of Georgia locomotive No. 223 in front of the roundhouse. The locomotive is a Baldwin C-3 class 2-8-0, built 1907, ended service 1952.
By Caseyjonz - Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15482690
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.