Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Blackpool 48, a 1928 double-deck streetcar (tram) from England, was used on the Willamette Shore Trolley line, in Portland (as seen here), for several years, but was moved to the Oregon Electric Railway Museum in 2006. By Steve Morgan, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40938095
Sydney car No. 1187 (built 1912) at the museum.
By Steve Morgan, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11176580
Oregon Electric Railway Museum
The Oregon Electric Railway Museum is the largest streetcar/trolley museum in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. It is owned and operated by the Oregon Electric Railway Historical Society and is located in Brooks, Oregon, on the grounds of Powerland Heritage Park (formerly known as Antique Powerland).
The original museum opened in Glenwood, about 40 miles (64 km) west of Portland, in 1959, with the first operation of streetcars taking place in 1963 and regular operation in 1966. It was named Trolley Park or, more commonly, the Trolley Park, but its formal name in later years was the same as that of the present museum. The Glenwood museum was built on the site of a former steam logging railroad, and OERHS re-equipped the former sawmill building of the Consolidated Timber Company as a four-track carbarn. The museum property occupied about 26 acres (11 ha), and trolley cars were able to operate on a 1.7-mile (2.7 km) line.
Operation at the Glenwood site ended in autumn 1995.
The current museum opened in Brooks in 1996. The museum consists of about one mile of mainline track with overhead wire. There is a four-track carbarn to store the international collection of streetcars.
The collection includes:
Two Portland 1904 Brill streetcars (nicknamed Council Crest type), Nos. 503 and 506
Portland 1932 Brill "Master Unit", No. 813
Portland-built interurban, No. 1067
Blackpool, England, double-decker tram, No. 48, built in 1928. Acquired by OERHS in 1964.
Sydney, Australia, O-class tram No. 1187, built in 1912
Porto, Portugal single-truck streetcar, No. 210
Los Angeles Railway car No. 1318
Two San Francisco PCC streetcars, Nos. 1118 and 1159
San Francisco Boeing LRV, No. 1213
Hong Kong double-decker tram, No. 12
Portland snow sweeper, No. 1455, built in 1899 by McGuire
Oregon Electric Railway locomotive 21, an electric "steeple-cab" locomotive built in 1912; acquired in 2017
Three other electric steeple-cab locomotives, from Montana, all of which were last used by the Anaconda Copper Mining Company
Three types of trolley buses: a Twin Coach and a Pullman-Standard from Seattle and a CCF-Brill from Vancouver
Nine ex-Brussels, Belgium, cars all moved to the museum from storage in Port Mellon, British Columbia in 2015, all but one of which are single-truck cars:
Six work cars that are former passenger cars (Nos. 19, 25, 26, 31, 34 and 1247) built in the mid-1930s and converted for work service in the 1970s
One passenger car (No. 1048) that was built in 1937 (as No. 1608). Retired in 1975, it was sold in 1984 to the Grand Cypress Resort, a then-new 930-acre (380 ha) resort near Orlando, Florida, where a streetcar line opened in 1985 to carry guests around the vast property. The 3.5-mile (5.6 km) streetcar line closed in the mid-1990s, and two of its cars were eventually moved to B.C. after being acquired by the owner of the other ex-Brussels streetcars now at OERM.
One passenger trailer (No. 2190), built in 1931 and which otherwise has a history similar to that of No. 1048, having been used for service on the Grand Cypress Resort line in Florida, until that line's closure in the 1990s
Brussels car 7020, a 1952 PCC streetcar built by La Brugeoise and retired from service in the 2000s
One of the two Portland "Council Crest" Brill cars, No. 503, was loaned to San Francisco in 1983, and again in 1985, for operation in the San Francisco Historic Trolley Festival, predecessor of the F Market & Wharves heritage streetcar line. In the late 1980s, Portland's transit agency, Tri-Met, used cars 503 and 506 as the models for new replica-vintage streetcars it was planning to purchase for use on the then-planned Portland Vintage Trolley service. Four faux-vintage Council Crest cars were eventually built by the Gomaco Trolley Company.
The museum is open from May through October with trolley operations on Saturdays. The big event of the year is the annual Steam-Up, held on the last weekend of July and the first weekend of August. Thousands of riders use the trolley during these two weekends.
Oregon Electric Railway Museum Overview
Former name: the Trolley Park
Location: Brooks, Oregon, United States
Cordinates: 45.051677°N 122.979589°W
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.