Arcadia and Betsey River Railway Company
The A&BR was incorporated September 25, 1895, under the general laws of Michigan, to construct, maintain, and operate a standard-gauge railroad from Arcadia to Copemish, Michigan. The date of its organization was September 25, 1895.
The road, all owned, of 17.425 miles, extending from Arcadia to Henry, was constructed during 1895, by The Henry Starke Land and Lumber Company. The road originally extended about 4 miles beyond Henry, to Copemish. Michigan. The rails and fastenings on this section were the property of The Ann Arbor Railroad Company, to which they were returned upon abandonment of the section in 1918.
About 7 miles of roadbed of a narrow-gauge railroad, extending eastward from Arcadia, Michigan, formerly owned and operated by The Henry Starke Land and Lumber Company as a logging road, was used In the construction of the carrier's railroad.
Arcadia and Betsey River Railway 2-6-0 No. 5.
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Snowbound locomotives of the A&BR at Arcadia, Michigan.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.