Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Bevier & Southern No. 112 at Bevier, Missouri, April 13, 2011. Photo by Eddie Phillips.
Locomotive No. 112, a 2-6-0 Mogul, was delivered by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on November 29 of 1920 to the Bevier and Southern Railroad Company of Bevier, Missouri, and was retired from service on December 29, 1962. During this period it chalked-up 364,562 working miles. It was given to the City of Bevier on January 1, 1963 by J.B. Agee, President of the Bevier and Southern Railroad Company, to be placed in the City Park at Bevier to commemorate the activity of the railroad in the business life of the Bevier community and as a monument to the Steam Locomotive Era in the railroad industry.
This film was taken by Mike Decker in September, 1962 of the Bevier and Southern engine terminal and CB&Q engine 4963 switching the coal mine at Bevier, Missouri .
Bevier and Southern 2-6-0 No. 111.
Bevier and Southern Railroad
The Bevier and Southern Railroad (reporting mark BVS) began in September 28, 1914, with the division of the Missouri and Louisiana Railroad (the Missouri portion of it becoming the BVS), and ended in 1982 when the railroad went out of business and was abandoned. The railroad was 9.18 miles in length and ran from a connection with the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (which had become Burlington Northern at the time B&S abandoned in 1982), just west of Bevier, Missouri and ran south to Binkley, Missouri. Outbound coal from coal mines in the area was the primary traffic along the route.
The original operator of the line was the Kansas & Texas Coal Railway. This line was reorganized in May 5, 1898 as the Missouri & Louisianan Railroad. On September 26, 1914 the present name was adopted. During 1915 the company operated 63 miles of track, however section abandonment continued until it reached its present length in 1961. The BVS was Revenue class D and was owned by J.B. Agee and later by Mrs. C. F. Agee. The Slogan of the Railroad was "Have Train Will Haul".
The line was 90 pound rail and was still relying exclusively on steam locomotives (two 2-6-0 Moguls and two 2-8-2 Mikados) to haul coal hoppers to its mainline connection in 1961.
The Burlington Northern Railroad, which was now a part of the BNSF Railway, took over the line in the 1990s, and expanded and rebuilt the line to serve the coal-fired power plant at the Thomas Hill Reservoir.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.