The Canton Railroad (reporting mark CTN) is a Class III switching and terminal railroad, operating in eastern Baltimore City and Baltimore County. It serves the Helen Delich Bentley Port of Baltimore and local shipping companies, and connects with two Class I railroads: CSX Transportation and the Norfolk Southern Railway.
After the federal government enacted legislation in 1905 approving the dredging of shipping channels to the Baltimore harbor to a depth of 35 feet, the Canton Company of Baltimore, a marine terminal operator, sought to develop property it owned in southeast Baltimore for use by manufacturers and shippers. This necessitated access to rail services. Since neither of the two local railroad companies, the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) and Pennsylvania Railroad Companies, were willing to extend their lines to undeveloped areas, the Canton Company decided in 1905 to build its own local railroad.
The Canton Railroad Company was chartered in 1906 by the Canton Company, to serve industrial, manufacturing, and shipping customers in the Baltimore port area. Its tracks, starting from the interconnection with the Pennsylvania Railroad, were laid during the period from 1905 through 1914. The Canton track interconnected with the B&O Railroad in 1910. Rail operations began in 1907.
The Canton Company was purchased by the conglomerate International Mining Company in 1960. It passed through several owners in the 1970s and 1980s. In 1984, alleged financial improprieties by the owners of the Canton Development Company, then the owner of the railroad, led to its being placed into receivership. The State of Maryland purchased the Canton Railroad at a bankruptcy auction in 1987 for $875,000 to provide railway access to the Seagirt Terminal of the Port of Baltimore.
The Canton Railroad dispute with Maryland involving whether the state franchise tax on railroad activities in the port of Baltimore violated the Import-Export or Commerce Clauses of the Constitution led to the Supreme Court case Canton Railroad Company v. Rogan, 340 U.S. 511 (1951).
Today the Canton Railroad is owned by the Maryland Transportation Authority and operates as a for-profit enterprise. Engines used by the Canton Railroad are painted yellow and black in a pattern similar to that used in the Maryland state and the Baltimore city flags. The railroad currently operates 6 miles of mainline and 17 miles of secondary track.
Locomotive number: CTN 32
Locomotive number: CTN 46
Locomotive number: CTN 50
Locomotive number: CTN 51
Locomotive number: CTN 1201
Locomotive number: CTN 1203
Locomotive number: CTN 1204
Locomotive number: CTN 1307
Locomotive number: CTN 1364
Locomotive number: CTN 1501
Locomotive number: CTN 1502
See the new look of Canton Railroad locomotives here: http://cantonrr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/IMG_6550.jpg
Canton Railroad rolling stock also included a model M930 caboose and eight model A302 boxcars. The caboose was intended for carrying potential customers for tours along the line but was sold several years ago, as it saw little use.
Canton Railroad Company Overview
Reporting mark: CTN
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland
Dates of operation: 1907– present
Track gauge: 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Length: 6 mile main, 17 mile secondary
Headquarters: Baltimore, MD
Official Website: http://www.cantonrr.com/
Locomotive number CTN 1203, an EMD SW1200 diesel-electric switcher engine of the Canton Railroad taken in Baltimore, Maryland. The railroad serves the Helen Delich Bentley Port of Baltimore and local shipping companies. Engines used by the Canton Railroad are painted yellow and black in a pattern similar to the Maryland and Baltimore flags. By Deanlaw - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25219653
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.