Cripple Creek and Victor N.G.R.R. Heading up hill from Cripple Creek, Colorado, on narrow gauge tracks only 2-feet wide. Engine is No.2, an 0-4-0 Henschel built in 1936 in Germany. By Don O'Brien from Piketon, Ohio, United States - Crpple Creek and Victor N.G.R.R.Uploaded by PDTillman, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=14425945
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Cripple Creek and Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad
The Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad (CC&VNG RR) is a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow-gauge heritage railroad that operates seasonal tourist trains between Cripple Creek and the city's outskirts to the south. The railroad uses a revitalized section of the original Midland Terminal Railway and the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad. The railroad's one station and around half of its route is located within the Cripple Creek Historic District, a National Historic Landmark.
As of the 2017 season, the railroad operates three coal-fired narrow-gauge steam locomotives. Engine No. 1 is an 0-4-4-0 Orenstein & Koppel articulated mallet built in 1902. Engine No. 2 is a 0-4-0 Henschel built in 1936. Engine No. 3 is an 0-4-0T H. K. Porter tank engine built in 1927. Engine No. 4 is a W. G. Bagnall 0-4-4-0T, built in 1947 which is under long term overhaul. The 5th engine is a 1951 General Electric, four wheel, diesel-electric engine that was battery operated for underground mining at the Idarado Mine near Telluride, Colorado. The engine is currently being used by the railroad's track crew.
Although the railroads that previously occupied the Cripple Creek & Victor's route were laid to 4 ft 8 1/2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge and 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge, the current railroad is laid to a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge. The current railroad started operations on June 28, 1967.
The track system begins at Bennett Avenue/5th Street going south out of Cripple Creek, goes past the old Midland Terminal Wye, then over a reconstructed train trestle, continues past historic mines and terminates very near the abandoned Anaconda mining camp. The return trip to Cripple Creek completes a total of 4 miles (6.4 km). The railroad does not actually terminate at Victor, Colorado, as the railroad's name implies.
Stations and depot
The Bull Hill Station, in Cripple Creek was originally built at the Anaconda Mine in 1894 by the Midland Terminal Railway. However, it was moved to Bull Hill in 1912, east of the town of Victor. In 1968, the depot was moved to Cripple Creek.
Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad Overview
Locale: Teller County, Colorado
Built by: Midland Terminal Railway (MTR) and Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad (FCCR)
Original gauge: 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge (MTR), 3 ft (914 mm) (FCCR)
Operated by: Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad
Length: 4 miles (6.4 km) round trip
Preserved gauge: 2 ft (610 mm)
Opened: 1893 (MTR), 1893 (FCCR)
Closed to passengers: 1931 (MTR)
Closed: 1949 (MTR)
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.