Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Casco Junction - Algoma - Sturgeon Bay. See Ahnapee and Western Railway (Coming Soon)
Iola (Iola Northern Railroad) Opened 1893 from Scandinavia - Operated by the GBW and purchased by them in 1914. Abandoned October 1956. Note - The proposed extension to Prentice to connect with the Soo Line was never constructed.
Waupaca (Waupaca Green Bay Railway) Opened 1907 from Scandinavia. Purchased by GBW in 1922. Closed 1947 (Passenger traffic ceased some years previously). The Waupaca Line was promoted by local business interests to provide competition to the Wisconsin Central. The Waupaca Depot was unusual in that it was the former Evangelical Lutheran church.
Biron Branch Opened sometime between 1881 and 1896 from Wisconsin Rapids. Status 2011 - Open. Although only 2.2 miles long from Wisconsin Rapids it proved valuable as connection to paper industries.
Stevens Point (Stevens Point and Northern) Opened January 1882 from Plover. Purchased by GBW May 1896. Status 2011 - Open.
La Crosse Branch (La Crosse to Onalaska) 6.38 miles. Opened 1876. Abandoned 1922. Connected to main line via trackage rights over the C&NW from Marshland.
Lake Michigan ferry connections
The GBW prospered from 1892 when a train ferry was introduced across Lake Michigan from Kewaunee eliminating transhipment and bypassing the congested Chicago area. Ferries ran to Frankfort, Michigan, operated by the Ann Arbor Railroad and Ludington, Michigan, operated by the Chesapeake & Ohio.
Frankfort services ended around 1980 and those to Ludington in 1990.
Green Bay and Western Railroad 2407, an ALCO RSD-15, at the Illinois Railway Museum.
By Sean Lamb (User:Slambo) (Own work) [CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons
A Green Bay and Western Slideshow.
Green Bay and Western Railroad
The Green Bay and Western Railroad (reporting mark GBW) was a Class I railroad serving central Wisconsin for almost 100 years before it was absorbed into the Wisconsin Central in 1993. The company was headquartered Green Bay, Wisconsin, and for much of its history the railroad was also known as the Green Bay Route. At the end of 1970 it operated 255 miles of road on 322 miles of track; that year it reported 317 million ton-miles of revenue freight.
The Green Bay and Western Railroad was formed in 1896 from the bankruptcy proceedings of the Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul and the Kewaunee, Green Bay and Western. The existing route, originally built by the Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railroad, linking Green Bay, Wisconsin, and East Winona, Wisconsin, formed the bulk of the new railroad. The Green Bay and Western acquired on August 1, 1906 a majority of shares/interest in the Ahnapee and Western Railway. The GBW established in 1929 the Western Refrigerator Line Company (WRX) to operate a 500-car fleet of reefers. Passenger traffic ceased in April 1949. The Line had carried 50,000 passengers yearly in the 1870s, 310,000 in 1915 but only 1,000 in 1947 having reverted to mixed trains. The Green Bay and Western sold off the Ahnapee and Western Railway to Vernon M. Bushman and a group of private investors on May 31, 1947. The Itel Corporation purchased the Green Bay & Western in 1978. The Green Bay & Western and the Fox River Valley Railroad were merged into a new Wisconsin Central subsidiary, the Fox Valley and Western Railroad August 27, 1993. Wisconsin Central was, in turn, purchased by Canadian National railway in 2001.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.