Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
Midland Valley 2-8-2 no. 74.
Muskogee, Oklahoma, was home to the Midland Valley's headquarters and shops. In 1925, the Midland Valley acquired the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway. Both railroads were owned by the Muskogee Company, a holding company, which purchased a third railroad Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka Railway in 1929. Muskogee Company was headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
End of the line
All three railroads were operated as more or less common property by the Muskogee Company until sale of all threes to the Missouri Pacific Railroad (MoPac) in 1964. The Midland Valley was merged into the Texas & Pacific Railroad (T&P), a MoPac subsidiary on April 1, 1967. MoPac merged into the Union Pacific Railroad (UP) in 1983. Operated as branchlines for a number of years, most of the Midland Valley has now been abandoned.
Midland Valley Railroad
The Midland Valley Railroad (MV) was a Class I railroad operating from 1903 until 1964 in the states of Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma, and was known as the "Arkansas River Route," due to much of its length paralleling the Arkansas River between Wichita, Kansas and Fort Smith, Arkansas. It was part of the Muskogee Roads and was operated jointly with two other lines, the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf and the Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka. The MV was incorporated on June 4, 1903 for the purpose of building a line from Hope, Arkansas, through Muskogee and Tulsa, Oklahoma to Wichita, Kansas. It was backed by C. Jared Ingersoll, a Philadelphia industrialist who owned coal mining properties in Indian Territory (now part of the state of Oklahoma). The railroad took its name from Midland, Arkansas, a coal mining town in western Arkansas, which was served by the railroad. The Midland Valley gained access to Fort Smith, Arkansas via trackage rights over the Frisco from Rock Island, Oklahoma.
In 1967, the Midland Valley Railroad was merged into the Texas & Pacific Railroad, which was absorbed by the Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1983. Midland Valley is now extinct.
MV completed construction of its initial system in 1906. It constructed a branch to the Glenn Pool oil field, which generated a lot of traffic and stimulated MV's revenues. MV extended the line as far as Kiefer, but closed the Glenn Pool-Kiefer section in 1936. Competition from other railroads caused a decline in MV's fortunes, especially during the Great Depression.
A Midland Valley Slideshow.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.