The Cotton Belt began a series of passenger train cutbacks in the early 1950s. The railroad had 25 steam engines and four gas electric motor cars available for passenger service in 1949. By late 1952 nine diesels had replaced the steam locomotives and motorcars and passenger train mileage had been trimmed considerably. The Cotton Belt was historically one of the first Class 1 lines in the southwest to discontinue passenger service with the last Cotton Belt passenger train, Number 8, operated on November 30, 1959, from Pine Bluff, Arkansas, to East St. Louis, Illinois.
Arkansas and Memphis Railway Bridge and Terminal Company
Arkansas and Southern Railway 1887 predecessor of SLA&T line to Shreveport
Arkansas Short Line
Blytheville, Leachville and Arkansas Southern Railroad
Cairo, Trumann and Southern Railroad
Central Arkansas and Eastern Railroad Company
Dallas Terminal Railway and Union Depot Company
Deering Southwestern Railway
Eastern Texas Railroad
Gideon and North Island Railway
Gray's Point Terminal Railway Company
Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad Company
Little River Valley and Arkansas Railroad Company
Manila and Southwestern
Memphis Union Station Company
Paragould Southeastern Railway Company
Pine Bluff Arkansas River Railway
St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway
St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Terminal Railway
St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas
Shreveport Bridge and Terminal Company
Southern Illinois and Missouri Bridge Company
Southwest Greyhound Lines, Inc.
Southwestern Transportation Company
Stephenville North and South Texas Railway
Stuttgart and Arkansas River Railroad Company
Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis
Texarkana Union Station Trust
Texas and Louisiana Railroad
Texas and St. Louis Railway
Texas and St. Louis Railway Company of Arkansas
Tyler Southeastern Railway Company
Tyler Tap Railroad
Union Terminal Company (Dallas, Texas)
Valley Terminal Railway
Cotton Belt 819
St. Louis Southwestern 819 is maintained at the Arkansas Railroad Museum in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, by the Cotton Belt Rail Historical Society. The No. 819 is a L1 class 4-8-4 "Northern" and was historically the last new steam locomotive rostered by the Cotton Belt, being home built at the Pine Bluff Shops in 1943. After its retirement it spent several decades on static display in Oakland Park in Pine Bluff until members of the Cotton Belt Rail Historical Society moved the locomotive back to the Pine Bluff Shops where they began a three year restoration appropriately called "Project 819". The 819 eventually returned to the rails for a second time in April 1986 and operated annually to various points on the railroad (trips to Fordyce, Little Rock, St. Louis, Tyler and Athens) until making its final run between Tyler, Texas and Pine Bluff on October 17, 1993. Today the 819 is the centerpiece of the Arkansas Railroad Museum housed inside the Pine Bluff Shops.
Louisiana politician Andrew R. Johnson (1856–1933) was once a depot agent for the Cotton Belt Railroad.
A St. Louis Southwestern Railway Slideshow.
By Clay Gilliland from Chandler, U.S.A. (Southern Pacific Business Train) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Classic Streamliners - TRAINCYCLOPEDIA
St. Louis Southwestern Alco PA-2 No. 300, June 6, 1957.
St. Louis Southwestern Railway
The St. Louis Southwestern Railway (reporting mark SSW), known by its nickname of "The Cotton Belt Route" or simply Cotton Belt, is a former Class I railroad which operated between St. Louis, Missouri, and various points in the states of Arkansas, Illinois, Louisiana, and Texas from 1891 to 1992. It's headquarters were in St. Louis.
The Cotton Belt was one of the lines comprising the railroad empire acquired by financier Jay Gould in the last quarter of the 19th century; according to the Handbook of Texas, "By 1890 Gould owned the Missouri Pacific, the Texas and Pacific, the St. Louis Southwestern, and the International-Great Northern, one-half of the mileage in the Southwest."
The railroad was organized on January 15, 1891, although it had its origins in a series of short lines founded in Tyler, Texas, in 1870 that connected northeastern Texas to Arkansas and southeastern Missouri. Construction of the original Tyler Tap Railroad began in the summer of 1875.
On October 18, 1903, the Cotton Belt gained trackage rights via the Thebes Bridge and the Missouri Pacific Railroad along the eastern shore of the Mississippi River to reach East St. Louis, Illinois, and then used Terminal Railroad Association trackage rights into St. Louis. The Cotton Belt also operated a yard and a locomotive servicing facility in East St. Louis, just east of Valley Junction, and south of Alton and Southern Railroad's Gateway Yard, and north of Kansas City Southern's East St. Louis Yard. They also had a freight station in downtown St. Louis. Union Pacific Railroad now operates the yard (still named "Cotton Belt Yard"), but the engine servicing facilities have been demolished.
The Cotton Belt and subsidiary St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas together operated 1,607 miles of road in 1945; 1,555 miles in 1965; and 2,115 miles in 1981 after taking over the Rock Island's Golden State Route. In 1925 SSW and SSW of Texas reported a total of 1,474 million net ton-miles of revenue freight and 75 million passenger-miles; in 1970 it carried 8,650 million ton-miles and no passengers.
The Southern Pacific Company gained Interstate Commerce Commission approval to control the Cotton Belt system on April 14, 1932, but continued to operate it as a separate company until 1992, when the SP consolidated the Cotton Belt's operations into the parent company. Cotton Belt diesel locomotives from 1959 on were painted in Southern Pacific's "bloody nose" scheme - dark gray locomotive body with a red "winged" nose. "Cotton Belt" was painted on the sides and in later years the letters "SSW" were painted on the nose.
In 1996 the Union Pacific Railroad finished the acquisition that was effectively begun almost a century before with the purchase of the Southern Pacific by UP in 1901, until divestiture was ordered in 1913. The merged company retains the name "Union Pacific" for all railroad operations. Many former SSW locomotives are used by Union Pacific today, although few still sport unmodified "Cotton Belt" paint. Most of the remaining units have been repainted into the UP scheme, while others wear patched SSW paint with a UP shield logo and new numbers applied over the SSW number.
Text: wikipedia.org. Images: Public Domain; http://www.commons.wikimedia.org (unless otherwise specified) and 17 U.S. Code § 107 fair use. References: Lewis, Robert G. The Handbook of American Railroads. New York: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation, 1951, 2nd Edition 1956. Site Map Contact webmaster HERE.
Purchases through our Merchant Links and Store help to defray the costs of operating the non-profit Classic Streamliners website, and at no additional cost to you. All of the staff at Classic Streamliners are unpaid volunteers who have all devoted thousands of hours of their own time to bring the site into fruition. We would like to sincerely thank all those who have already helped support this worthy cause. For more information click HERE.